Hello everyone! Summer is here which means lots of swimming, family activities, and maybe a little bit of sewing!
Speaking of sewing, I really love this fun quilt I made!
Last year I made this fun patriotic quilt using all of the red, creams, and blues from our Creekside fabric line. While I had planned to post it a lot earlier, life got busy (story of my life), but it’s never too late to start a new quilt right?!?!
I really love this quilt and it is simple to make! Ohio Stars and Nine Patches make it easy and fun! P.S. You can use any fabrics you want, this was just a variation from our Creekside fabric line that I absolutely loved! The colors and prints really popped which was what I was looking for! I hope you enjoy this tutorial!
Patriotic Stars Tutorial:
Note: Always press well and press using preferred method!
Nine Patch Blocks:
Blue Squares– (85) 4 1/2″ squares
Background Squares– (68) 4 1/2″ squares
This will make 17 Nine Patch Blocks.
Red Squares: (36) 5 1/2″ squares
(18) 4 1/2″ squares
Background Squares: (36) 5 1/2″ squares
(72) 4 1/2″ squares
This will make 18 Star Blocks.
Nine Patch Block:
Each Nine Patch Block consists of 4 background squares and 5 blue squares.
1. Assemble squares as show below.
2. Sew three squares together to make a row. Make three rows as shown.
3. Sew the rows together as shown to make one block. Block should measure 12 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ unfinished.
4. Make 17 Nine Patch Blocks.
Each Star Block consists of (4) 4 1/2″ background squares, (2) 5 1/2″ background squares, (2) 5 1/2″ red squares, and (1) 4 1/2″ red square.
1. First you need to make your half square triangles. Draw a diagonal line corner to corner on the back of each of the 5 1/2″ background squares.
2. Place the red and background 5 1/2″ squares right sides together and sew 1/4″ away from both sides of the line. Cut and press. You should have 4 half square triangles.
3. To make your quarter square triangles you will be repeating steps one and two. Take your half square triangles and place them right sides together with the opposite colors touching. Sew 1/4″ away from both sides of the line. Cut and press. Now you should have 4 quarter square triangles for your block. Trim quarter square triangles to 4 1/2″ x 4 1/2″.
5. Assemble the block as shown below. Sew squares into rows and then continue to sew rows together as shown to complete the block. Block should measure 12 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ unfinished.
6. Make 18 Star Blocks.
Alternate your blocks to make the quilt as shown below. Sew all the the blocks into rows and then continue by sewing all of your rows together to complete the quilt. Quilt should measure 60 1/2″ x 84 1/2″.
I hope you enjoyed this quilt tutorial! I love anything red, white, and blue so of course I was really excited to share this one with all of you! Happy sewing!